The current Villa Park Orchards Packinghouse was originally owned and operated by the Santiago Orange Growers Association (SOGA). In 1918, the SOGA was the largest packing- house operating in Orange. By 1929, the SOGA had increased to 360 grower-members. During that same year, SOGA packed over 820,000 boxes of fruit (2,051 carloads), which brought in $2.8 million on the auction market. In the mid 1930’s the orange industry experienced periods of expansion and retrenchment before the SOGA finally went out of business in 1967.
The Villa Park Orchards Association (VPOA) was established in Villa Park in 1912 when 48 local fruit growers organized to harvest, pack, and market their fruit. In 1967 when the former SOGA packinghouse became available, VPOA moved into the facility. This Orange location handled their overflow fruit from their main location in Villa Park. In 1978, packing operations at the original site in Villa Park ceased and VPOA transferred all of their equipment to their new Orange location. For more info, click here: http://1888.center/villa-park-orchards-packinghouse/