The first month of 2017 has already come and gone, and we can’t help but boast about the impressive additions to the neighborhood. Here at I Heart, we have been doing some growing of our own. We have expanded our family tree, and are so excited to announce a brand new sponsor! Blushed Clothing has officially joined the gang, and you don’t have to leave the comfort or your own home to enjoy everything they have to offer. Intrigued? Read on!
Blushed Clothing is a new online boutique based in Orange, California whose story hits close to home. This particular story started in 2013 when a local mom, hard worker and friend of Kelly's, named Carolyn Damon, was first diagnosed with stage two breast cancer. Though we've known Carolyn for many, many years, we got to know her most in the very first years of I Heart when we rented an office out of her office on Chapman Avenue. She bravely fought her disease in 2013 and lived cancer free for three years. In January 2016, she learned that her cancer returned, and it had spread. With a husband and two teenage daughters at home, she was searching for a way to keep her mind occupied through this diagnosis and figure out what she wanted to do for the rest of her life. With uncertainty as to what the future holds, the family teamed up to embark on a new chapter in their life, and Blushed Clothing was born!
With this new local online retailer up and running (and hoping to open a storefront soon), we were eager to learn more! We recently had the pleasure of chatting with Carolyn, and couldn’t wait to share what we learned.
- We know your daughters are two major inspirations for the clothes at Blushed -- are there other muses in your life (people, places, etc.) that fuel your ideas for the brand? “I’m constantly getting feedback and inspiration from friends and family. Their opinions are very important, so I often take their ideas and incorporate them into the brand.”
- What has been the best part about starting your own online clothing company? “Oh, there are so many amazing parts of this journey. I’m especially grateful for all the support and encouragement I have received from those around me. I also love seeing what my daughters have done with the company. They’ve been been pivotal, creatively speaking, from selecting the name, designing the logo, and modeling outfits. Seeing the ideas they come up with is the best part! Lastly, I enjoy being part of every phase of the brand. From hanger to happy customer, it's truly rewarding.”
- What has been the hardest part? “The hardest part was learning and researching how to create a business. I completely started from scratch. Since the idea sparked, it has been a process of constant reading, learning, asking questions, searching for answers and lots of footwork.”
- Your story about how you got to this point is really incredible. What would you say has been the biggest lesson you’ve learned from your journey? “There is always going to be a mountain before you, so you set your personal goals to make it to each peak. Some mountains take longer to climb than others but you have to keep climbing and don’t ever give up!”
- How do you want women to feel when they wear clothes from your brand? “I want them to feel happy and confident when wearing our clothing. We can always tell when it’s the perfect outfit because the customer’s face lights up. Seeing those smiles is such a gratifying feeling.”
- Do you have any projects you would like to pursue in the future, whether it be clothing or something else? I eventually would like to start my own storefront. I also would like to be a role model providing encouragement, easing fears, and giving hope to other women who are experiencing similar stories to mine, and are going through their own struggles right now, like me.
- What advice would you give to people who have always wanted to pursue a passion or lifelong dream, but keep it on the sidelines? Do your research, and if it's a passion of yours, it will be non-stop on your mind. Ideas and thoughts will constantly flow into your head. Talk to people, research and go for it. Give it time and it will blossom.
Blushed Clothing offers the latest apparel and accessories for teenagers through mid-age women. Their hand selected pieces have an eclectic style that includes must-have basics, trendy tops, various types of dresses, outerwear, and more! They have a great accessory section for putting the finishing touches to any ensemble. You will find everything from dainty necklaces to statement pieces that will perfectly polish off your favorite outfit.
In celebration of joining the IHOTO family, Blushed Clothing is offering our readers some serious love! From now until Valentine's Day (February 14th) use the coupon code ‘HEART’ at checkout and receive 20% off + free shipping!
Yes, shopping local just became that much easier! Shouldn’t retail therapy always involve wearing PJ’s and keeping a tasty beverage close by? Please help support this neighbor's new business. Hopefully, we will soon see a Blushed Clothing retail store in Old Towne Orange!
Happy shopping from home!